So you’re a Red Meat Conservative who thinks taxes are the very embodiment of Evil Liberal Oppression and wants the heavy hand of the Nanny State expunged from our lives. Well, comrade, here in the fact-and evidence-based real world, taxes are what help make America what it is today, and it enables government to do the thing we expect it to. Barney Frank once said that government is just another name for what we decide to do together. In our case, government is what makes America a country that works for its people in a million and one different and generally unnoticed ways. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot, but if you still insist that taxes are evil and oppressive, then I’ve got 102 things that you need to stop doing immediately. Unless you enjoy being a hypocrite.
If you’re a conservative who hates taxes, please do the following.
1. Do not use Medicare.
2. Do not use Social Security
3. Do not become a member of the US military, who are paid with tax dollars.
4. Do not ask the National Guard to help you after a disaster.
5. Do not call 911 when you get hurt.
101. Do not ride trains. The railroad was built with government financial assistance.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment